Sunday, February 22, 2015

Philly

So I'm in Massachussetts right now, but it was quite an adventure to get here. You may have heard, the Snow-pocalypse hit New England. Well, because of that I got stuck in Philadelphia for two days.
The first day I didn't leave the airport. The USO in the airport had rooms where you could stay overnight for free, and even had food all day, free wifi, showers, and everything. It was pretty cool!


But the second day I met a couple who was also stuck at the USO, heading to Boston. The wife had lived in Philly for awhile and they were going to leave the airport for the day. So I tagged along!
Cheesesteak. Oh.my.goodness. I've never cared for it. But I had never had it in Philly. I'm a convert! The photo above is Geno's but across the street was Pat's. We got steak at both and shared them to do taste testing. Apparently in the summer the customers stand out on the street and shout at each other over who's steak is better! Pat's was better. Like, lick the cheese off the paper better.


It was cold like I've never felt cold before. So our adventure out didn't last very long. We went very quickly through the "liberty" area. Liberty Hall was like the State Capitol building way back when. Or something like that. Anyway, here is where they signed the Declaration of Independence.

And here's the Liberty Bell. Which is broken because they had to use so many different kinds of metal to make it that it was fragile. But it was used to call the representatives to meetings and stuff. So it was special to them and they kept it.
See that man in the background on the left? That's Mike. Him and his wife Suzie were on their way back from their honeymoon in Aruba? Cancun? I forgot... somewhere VERY warm. They are super sweet and I'm glad to have met them!


So, that was my little Philadelphia excursion!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

pretty cool Kelly! I can't wait to explore that part of the world! I'm happy you had a place to stay and people to hang out with.

Becky said...

You know what's crazy? I've spent my entire life living an easy day trip distance from Philly, and I can't recall ever having eaten a cheesesteak in the city! It's pretty easy to get cheesesteak at any sub shop in the state, but maybe I should remedy that sometime. (I have seen the Liberty Bell, though. ) I'm glad you found a way to enjoy your travel delay!

Corinnea said...

Glad you got to venture out! Very cool that the USO had accomadations. Hope your time in Mass is good.

Sewing by Shirley said...

Wow, what an adventure you are having! I'm so glad you met some nice people and were able to go out and see some sites. I love the pictures! I have never been there before, so it is wonderful to see some history!